Mt. Rushmore ~ USA


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » South Dakota
August 22nd 2016
Published: August 22nd 2016
Edit Blog Post

Who doesn't love a road trip?

Well...little Emmett, as it turned out...................

Fortunately, our son and daughter-in-law anticipated his angst and loaned us their second car. Apparently Em indulged in a " whine-on-a-loop" for several hundred miles, with an occasional nap thrown in, to preserve his parent's sanity 😊

My hubby and I had a peaceful time and enjoyed the openess and virtual emptiness of the North Dakota plains. Miles and miles of wheat fields and grassland for grazing cattle were actually a beautiful sight.

I love anything remotely ' quaint' and we came upon a delightfully 'old-world' general store, literally in the middle of nowhere ! We had a rest break, sitting on the front stairs, sipping cold drinks on a fiercely hot afternoon.

The landscape gradually changed to hills, as we neared South Dakota and the pine trees gave a lovely, aromatic scent to the air.



The KOA campground we had booked at was one of the best family facilities I've ever seen: two swimming pools, horses, jumping castles, basketball courts.....you name it. Our cabin was marvellous, too ! The large tent where pancake breakfasts were served daily, was a BIG 'hit' as well.



The second day we drove the short distance to Mt. Rushmore, located in The Black Hills National Park.

In 1924, an American sculptor, of Danish descent, was invited to sculpt the Needles (huge granite pillers. ) Work began in October 1929 and four presidential heads emerged on a gigantic scale. They are impressive, to say the least !



It really was a great trip to do as a family !


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0312s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb